Wednesday, October 07, 2009

New blogger rules of disclosure

You have probably heard that the Federal Trade Commission has enacted new rules on bloggers who take payment for blogging about products without disclosing the payment. See a report on it at CNBC. Obviously, the Internet is a hard place to navigate for some, which must explain why so many people fall prey to those absurd phishing schemes and end up with their bank accounts cleaned out.

So, for the sake of clarity, I will disclose that I do not accept any payment for any product that I blog about or write about in Scoot!. We do receive free products for review. After we review them, most end up in our swag pile for rally sponsorship. But no one pays us for our reviews in print or online. We genuinely look for products that we feel our readers will want to use. We do have advertisers, but I don't let that effect my review. If it's crap, it's crap. If it's good, it's good, no mater whether they advertise or not.

But now I wonder how many other bloggers have been pulling in the $$$ from selling their opinions?

And while I'm at it, I wish the FTC would tell the FCC to work just as hard to get those calls about my "factory warranty" expiring to stop happening on my cell phone! BTW If you get harassing unrelated calls on your cell phone you can fill this form out.

No comments: