Thursday, June 17, 2010

Farewell, John Gerber

Members of the Vespa Club of America are likely familiar with John Gerber, who may have been the penultimate "scooter tourer" as he had traveled all over the world by Vespa (several of them) throughout his life. Josh alerted me to the sad news that John recently passed away.

Oddly enough, last month I conducted my first interview with John for what was to be a look at some of his more extensive trips. I hadn't yet scheduled the second interview, and now I never will. We were also planning to identify which of his photos (from his extensive collection) we would use in the article.  It was going to take a few interviews as John had tabulated that he had ridden over 412, 000 miles since 1964 and visited all the continents except for the poles an Africa.

He had some incredible stories.

Blog entry soundtrack: "Light My Fire" by Erma Franklin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

My name is James Gerber and John is my father. I'm not sure how much help I can be with your article, but I'd like to help you write it as much as I can and I can help with information and photos. I'm sure he would want me to.

Feel free to email me at OffBaseMC@gmail.com.