Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Josh Update

Josh's wife, Katie sent out an update to his condition. I'll repost it here:

Hello to all!

Many of you have called or written to know how we are doing and what is going on, so I thought I would do another en masse email to cover all of my bases. I apologize for not addressing you all individually, but I sure you can imagine how long that would take! :-)

Josh is doing well, albeit struggling with the physical limitations of his injuries and the mental struggle of not being able to do what he wants, when he wants, and with any sort of self-reliance. He was discharged from Regional Medical last Monday and has settled nicely into my parents living room in South San Jose. Luckily for us, they had just finished a large-scale remodel of the back of their home and so the room was empty of furniture and large enough to accommodate the hospital bed and other accoutrement's required to help rehabilitate him. Delilah, our Olde English Bulldogge, has moved in with him to keep him company and lift his spirits (although she promptly had an allergy attack and now they have to take care of each other!) Our condo in Downtown San Jose was deemed "too small" for this new lifestyle, so I am desperately trying to find a one-story home that we can all move into together to help restore our happy little family unit.

Josh's mother, Lynn, has graciously come down from her home on California's Northern Coastline to take care of Josh while I go back to work. Her generosity and patience in managing his day-to-day needs and requirements has been more of a blessing than I could ever hope for. While she can't stay forever, I am certainly grateful for the weeks that she is putting in to get us "back on our feet". Since I have returned to work, life has seemed to evolve into a constant spin of driving, working, visiting and trying to sleep. Hopefully it will slow to steady pace that we can all keep up with much easier!

While we have somewhat left the woods, we are definitely not out of the forest yet. Josh's injuries turned out to be more severe than we had originally thought and will require additional surgeries in the near future. In total, he had a compound open-leg fracture to his left femur, a compound fracture to his left radius, a dislocation of his left wrist, a dislocation of his left shoulder, a fracture to his left shoulder, and he tore the ACL and PCL in his right knee. His left knee is badly swollen, but doctor's are suggesting an MRI in the next week or so to determine further damage. Surgery on his right knee is scheduled within the end of the month and he has an appt to go in later this week and have 20-something staples removed from his legs. This has drastically increased his recovery time, and we are now looking at 9-12 months before he can walk unaided....

All in all, we are doing well. Not fabulous, but not horrible either. This has definitely been a large transition for us and a test to our marriage, relationship, communication and friendships. We both so appreciate the outpouring of support and concern that has come our way and wanted each of you to know just how much love we have realized in these last 3 weeks. This will probably be my last update for some time; I don't want to crowd your inbox's with our every move! :-) Thank you again to each and every one of you for everything that you've done, emailed, called, etc. It's times like these when you realize the full-extent of your friendships with others!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow sound like quite a tumble he took, well tell the bloke to buck up and shake it off.. we'll miss him at the European Motorcycle show and swap March 29th , Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, But Scoot Quarterly will be there and we'll all have Josh on our minds in one way or another.
I'm sure it's tough on the family, but that's what family is all about, support,love and hope.

Get well bugger and lets go ride!
Lorin Guy
Ducati Vintage Club